The Department of Mechanical Engineering invites prospective incoming freshmen to apply for the Mary C. and William G. Drake Scholarship. This scholarship offers awardees expenses paid during at least the first year of study in the department of Mechanical Engineering, with funding up to three additional years contingent upon scholars' meeting established minimum academic performance criteria.
Awardees will be selected on the basis of interest in Mechanical Engineering as well as outstanding achievements in academic studies and extracurricular activities. Financial resources of the applicant are not a criterion for this award. The scholarships are available only to applicants who are U.S. Citizens or Permanent Residents by August 15, 2018.
The amount of the award is in each year equal to the cost of attendance as determined by the University's Financial Aid Office. Your award covers educational fees and tuition, costs of dormitory housing and food, and provides for some incidental educational expenses. The scholarship also provides a full supplement for non-resident tuition. For a detailed listing of the costs covered, please visit the UC Berkeley Financial Aid and Scholarships website.
If you would like to apply, please submit the following items as separate attachments via email to firstname.lastname@example.org. They can also be sent as a ZIP file. Please note that we strongly prefer typed documents.
1. A completed application (please use linked MS Word form).
2. A Career Decision Essay (maximum 2 pages). State your reasons for considering Mechanical Engineering as your course of study. Discuss any scientific or engineering project with which you have been involved, and describe any scientific or engineering book or article that may have recently sparked your interest. Please list your full name on each page.
3. A copy of your High School Transcript (if your school provides electronic transcripts, that works, but so do scanned copies)
4. A list of your extra-curricular interests and activities.
Describe your three favorite extracurricular activities. This may include involvement in clubs, Scouts, sports, school government, etc. Please mention any offices you have held in these organizations. Also list any scholastic honors you have won. Please list your full name on each page.
5. A copy of your SAT or ACT Score Report (unofficial score reports, such as what a test-taker can get from the ETS website, are fine).
Letters should be submitted directly to the email address above by the recommenders. These should come from, most preferably, a Mathematics or Science teacher.
*Regarding application materials and information, we will not have access to your original UC application data/information. You may feel free to duplicate information.
DEADLINE: All application materials need to be emailed no later than Tuesday, March 20, 2018, at 11:59pm Pacific Standard Time. We highly recommend that materials be submitted at least a few days in advance of this deadline as late materials will not be accepted.
If you have questions about this award, please contact:
Shareena Samson, Undergraduate Student Adviser for ME
Phone: (510) 642-4094