Faculty Announcements - Fall 2017

Dear ME Faculty,


Please see below important information for the Fall (dates, policies, general information).  Thank you and have a lovely semester.



The ME Administration and The ME Student Services Office

Important Dates

Requests for Room Changes

If you need a room change because of the number of students in your course exceeds the room capacity, or it is unsuitable in another way, please email Isabel Blanco with your request no later than noon on Thursday, 8/31.  We cannot guarantee all requests will be granted due to a campuswide classroom shortage.

Academic Calendar & Student Accommodations - Campus Policies & Guidelines

We call your attention to important campus policies and guidelines concerning the academic calendar, academic integrity, various accommodations for students, RRR week, commencement, and final exams.  Students should be aware of their rights and responsibilities and faculty should follow these policies when setting dates for assignments, granting extensions, etc.  If you have additional questions, please contact CTL at teaching@berkeley.edu.

New Course Submissions/Course Revisions

If you wish to create a new course or revise an existing one for Spring 2017 or beyond, all materials are due to Shareena no later than Monday, October 2nd.


The following materials are required for new courses and revisions:

1.  A new course syllabus

2.  A sample weekly schedule for the course

3.  If the course will have a final project in lieu of a final, then a sample description of such project.

4.  If the course is a roomshare between an undergraduate and graduate course, a short explanation of how the student's work will differ depending on their status.


Please contact Shareena as soon as possible so she can provide you the appropriate materials and templates.

Mid-Term Examinations Held During Non-Lecture Times

If you would like to hold your midterms during the evening and not during your lecture time, please let Isabel Blanco know at least 30 days before your midterm to increase chances of getting a campus classroom.

Homework Boxes & Door Card Requests

Door card requests should be directed to Irma Paz-Viray at ipv@berkeley.edu

Homework box requests should be directed to Irma Paz-Viray at ipv@berkeley.edu.  First come, first serve.

Departmental Exam Policies

All course instructors are required by campus to follow the exam guidelines at http://registrar.berkeley.edu/Default.aspx?PageID=finals.html.


In addition, the department would like to remind instructors that every exam (excluding take home exams), no matter what the situation, should be proctored by qualified personnel such as the instructor him/herself, a course GSI, or an academic colleague. It is our policy that ME Staff should not serve as proctors.


It is also our policy that each student be given a proper space to take the exam. This space should provide a reasonable level of quiet, privacy and comfort for the student. In the case of disability accommodations, the space must also meet the criteria listed in the student’s Letter of Accommodation (listed in the Faculty/Proxy Portal (https://dssonline.berkeley.edu/scarab/faculty/). Classrooms and conference rooms are ideal spaces.


Please keep in mind that inequity in requirements between possible exam spaces, environments, and proctors could pose pedagogical issues that may certainly lead to grade grievances.


Grading Policies/Repetition of Courses/Removal of Incomplete (I) Grades

Information regarding campus grade and credit code definitions can be found at http://guide.berkeley.edu/academic-policies/#gradestext.


Information regarding the repetition of grades can be found at http://registrar.berkeley.edu/academic-records/grades.


Information about the removal of incomplete grades can be found at http://registrar.berkeley.edu/sites/default/files/pdf/Change%20Grades%20-%20Instructor%20Quick%20Guide.pdf.


Reporting Academic Misconduct

If you wish to report a student for Academic Misconduct, the proper form can be found at http://sa.berkeley.edu/conduct/reporting/academic.

Student Disability Accommodation

Faculty responsibilities in regard to students with disabilities can be found here: http://dsp.berkeley.edu/facresponsibilities.html.


Additionally, an FAQ for instructors can be found at http://dsp.berkeley.edu/faq.html.

The Gold Folder/Helping Students In Distress

The Office of the Dean of Students in collaboration with the Tang Center's Counseling and Psychological Services (CPS) distributed campus-wide the Gold Folder Faculty/Staff Reference to Assist Students in Distress and facilitated in-person trainings. The Gold Folder is designed as a quick reference guide to help faculty and staff identify signs of an emotionally distressed student and access appropriate resources to help themselves, the student, and the campus community.


A web version of The Gold Folder can be found at http://uhs.berkeley.edu/goldfolder/.

FERPA Awareness

Dear All,


As a new school year is beginning, please take a few minutes to re-review our FERPA rules and regulations at http://registrar.berkeley.edu/academic-policies-procedures/ferpa.  Please be aware that if you are planning to pubically release student information (SIDs on homeworks, for example), you must attain waivers from your students (aka "The Buckley Waiver").

Departmental Policy: Sabbatical Leaves/Special Leave Requests


If you envision any sort of semester or year-long leave during the coming year, please contact Debra Chin (Academic Personnel). Sabbatical leave credits must be verified in advance.  The sabbatical/leave requests must be submitted one year in advance, no later than October 1st. of the academic year prior to the sabbatical/leave (no exceptions), in order to meet tight deadlines for course scheduling and temporary academic staffing budget decisions (TAS).


Please submit your Sabbatical/Leave requests in writing to the Department Chair via Vicky Garcia (Department Manager).  Your plan should include the purpose of the sabbatical/leave; your address if you plan to spend time away from Berkeley; if you are a Principal Investigator and need a substitute, i.e, (co-P.I.), the name of the substitute (co-P.I.).  If you will be receiving other income, state the amount and source, please remember you are not allowed to receive more than 100% of your academic salary.


The Department Chair and Vice Chair of Instruction will review all leave requests in November.  Approval is based on courses, academic staffing and other considerations.  Once approved please discuss your request with the Vice Chair of Instruction on how your graduate student advising will be covered.

Upon return from sabbatical leave, please submit a sabbatical leave report within 90 days. For details regarding this report's contents, please see Debra Chin.


GSR Title Codes for Hiring Purposes

GSR codes have changed a little bit so we wanted to give you a new code sheet for reference.  You can find it at /sites/default/files/graduate/fee_remission_eligibility.pdf .

MET Program Application Is Opening!

The MechE version of the MET Program will be opening its application in F17 for a F18 cohort.  For information about this program, please see http://met.berkeley.edu/me-business/ .  If you could share this information with any prospective students who are interested in Business, that would be fantastic!