Financial Information

Financial Support for PhD Students

Financial support for most graduate students may be found in the form of fellowships and teaching and research assistantships.  Many students are also able to find employment during the summer months in local industry.  Fellowships are an excellent form of support.  We encourage you to check for current information on available fellowships with our Graduate Division.  We strongly encourage all our applicants to apply for financial assistance from sources outside the university as well.  Government fellowships, such as the National Science Foundation Fellowship (NSF) and the National Defense Science and Engineering (NDSEG) are excellent examples of outside fellowships.  International students should also review the information at the Berkeley International Office.


Students with questions regarding Financial Support and the MEng Program should refer to the Fung Institute website.


The 5th Year MS program is self-supported.




The University of California is a public institution.  Graduate registration fees for California Resident students and Non-Residents can be located on the Registrar's website.  U.S. citizens and permanent residents can establish California residency after a year of living continuously in California.  Additionally, to estimate the cost of a year of graduate school at Berkeley and to acquaint you with the resources and options available to help you finance your education, you can refer to the Graduate Division's list of cost and fees, or if you are an international student, the International Office's list of costs and fees.