8.1 Filing Fee: General Information

The Filing Fee is a reduced fee (one-half of the University Registration fee) for doctoral students who have completed all requirements for the degree except for filing the dissertation (Plans A and B) and presenting the Final Defense (Plan A). It is also available to master's students with no requirements remaining except for filing the thesis (Plan I) or completing the final report and presentation (Plan II). The Filing Fee is not a form of registration nor is it equivalent to registration. If students wish to use university services that are supported by registration fees, they must pay those fees. Filing Fee is available for the fall and spring semesters only.


Duration of the Filing Fee. The Filing Fee applies for the length of the semester for which Filing Fee status has been approved, up to the last working day of the term, which is the deadline for filing a thesis or dissertation.


Eligibility requirements for the Filing Fee. To use the Filing Fee in a fall semester, the student must have been registered in the previous spring or summer. Summer Sessions enrollment must be for a minimum of three units. To use the Filing Fee in spring, the student must have been registered in the previous fall. Filing Fee status is not available for Summer Sessions. However, students are permitted to file a thesis or dissertation while registered for Summer Sessions. Please note that a letter of support from the Head Graduate Adviser must accompany all Filing Fee applications.


How to apply for the Filing Fee. Students must apply for the Filing Fee by the end of the first week of classes of the semester in which they intend to file. Students complete the "Special Enrollment Petition" eForm (Filing Fee Application) available in the CalCentral under "Student Resources" section. Please note that the departmental deadline is earlier than this, so please check at 6189 Etcheverry for the date you need to bring the form to 6189 Etcheverry in order to get the Vice-Chair of Graduate Study's approval . Students are billed the Filing Fee on their CARS statement. The degree cannot be awarded until the Filing Fee is paid.


Limitations on Filing Fee status. The Filing Fee may be used only once during a student's career. However, students who used the Filing Fee to file for a master's degree will be permitted to apply for the Filing Fee for the doctoral degree.


If a student does not complete the final degree requirements (filing the dissertation or thesis, or passing the final comprehensive exam) during the semester for which the Filing Fee is approved, the student must be readmitted and pay regular registration fees during the semester in which the requirements are completed. Readmission procedures can be found in Section 8.3.


Filing Fee status and academic student appointments. Students with academic appointments for which registration is required are not eligible for Filing Fee status. To hold an appointment, students must be appropriately registered and enrolled in at least 15 units unless advanced to doctoral candidacy.


Filing Fee status and international students. To avoid visa problems with the U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement, international students must contact the Berkeley International Office (BIO, 642-2818) well before the beginning of the semester during which they plan to use the Filing Fee. Filing fee status can satisfy the SEVIS requirement for international students only if the student has obtained the signature of the BIO student adviser (contact the Berkeley International Office (BIO), located in International House, 2299 Piedmont Avenue; 642-2818).


Health insurance for students on Filing Fee. U.S. resident students may purchase Student Health Insurance Plan (SHIP) coverage for the semester they are on approved filing fee status if they have not already purchased SHIP during a period of withdrawal beyond one semester. UHS allows purchase of SHIP if a student is in a non-registered status for two semesters only, which pertains to both filing fee and withdrawal. For eligibility information and enrollment details, refer to the UHS website.


8.1.1 - Summarization of Key Issues

- Filing may be used once for MS and once for PhD

- Students must be Advanced to Candidacy for either MS or PhD Degree before eligible

- Students may not take classes

- Students lose all UC Berkeley Building Access

- Students must pay for GSHIP, RSF, & library card, if they want to use these resources

- Students may not hold GSR or GSI appointment, but can hold a Reader appointment

- While on Filing Fee, students may not take the Prelim Exam or Qualifying Exam

- Students may graduate while on filing fee

- Costs one-half of the University Registration Fee


This information was taken from The Graduate Guide to Policy.