4.4 Withdrawn Students

Detailed information regarding withdrawal can be found at https://registrar.berkeley.edu/registration/cancellation-withdrawal


International students should refer to:  https://internationaloffice.berkeley.edu/students/current/withdrawal


Please notify the Student Services Office that you wish to do this before you put in your request. 


Withdrawn Students

  • - May not take classes
  • - May not graduate
  • - Must pay for the Recreation and Sports Facilities (RSF) if using
  • - Must pay for GSHIP (Graduate Student Health Insurance Plan) if needed.  For enrollment, a memo from Department to GSHIP stating student is was in good standing when s/he left the department is required each semester.
  • - Must pay for library services, if using
  • - Cannot hold GSR or GSI appointment
  • - May be Junior Specialist or Reader - International students see SISS (Services for International Students and Scholars) first
  • - May take Prelim Exam with permission of Vice Chair of Graduate Study and Chair of Prelim Committee
  • - May not take Qualifying Exam
  • - Must apply for readmission.  No guarantee that student will be accepted back into the program.  Please note that there is a reapplication fee.


For information about how to apply for readmission please see Section 8.3.