Each semester, the Department of Mechanical Engineering hires Graduate Student Instructors (GSIs) and Readers for the following semester. If you would like to be considered for a position with us, please read the information below.
*Applications for Spring 19 are now open at: https://deptapps.coe.berkeley.edu/ase/me/apply
Rules and Regulations
- Review the Schedule of Classes for the semester you wish to work and see which classes you are interested in. Please do not apply for a course that will not be offered.
- Complete the application.
- Include an employment CV/Resume (This should be a detailed resume, not just a record of your previous student positions. However, you should be sure to include any previous employment you've had, and the time/duration of that employment).
- Including a CalCentral transcript is optional.
- The Center sponsors a campuswide teaching conference each semester to prepare new GSIs for teaching. All GSIs teaching for the first time at Berkeley are required to attend. The fall conference takes place on the Thursday and Friday before classes start. The first day (Thursday) is for international GSIs and addresses teaching in the U.S. classroom. The second day (Friday) consists of intensive teaching preparation for all new GSIs, international and domestic. The spring conference takes place on the Friday before spring classes begin.
- All students who are not native speakers of English and who are to be appointed as GSIs must meet the language proficiency requirements for GSIs. If need to take the SPEAK test please contact email@example.com immediately. If you fail the SPEAK and do not otherwise meet the language proficiency requirements you may be able to take an OPT test (depending on SPEAK or ibT score ), or pre-register for the language proficiency class, LanPro 100A. There are a limited number of spaces in the Lan Pro 100A sections, and students are encouraged to pre-enroll as early as possible. In the event that demand exceeds the number of available spaces, students will be prioritized according to test scores and how soon the department intends to appoint the student as a GSI.
- If you are a first time Academic Student Employee, you must attend one of the following Academic Student Employee orientation sessions. You must register through the UCB Learning Center (you will need to login via Blu using your Calnet ID and password). In order to register, you will need to have been entered into the Personnel Payroll System (PPS) by your Department, and you will need a valid Calnet Identification number. You should be able to sign up on-line beginning 2 days after the start date of your appointment. Dates for this event can be found on the Berkeley HR website.