Fees & Financial Support


The University of California is a public institution. Graduate registration fees for California Resident students and Non-Residents can be located on the Office of the Registrar's website. U.S. citizens and permanent residents can establish California residency after a year of living continuously in California.


Helpful Links

Graduate Division Tuition Cost & Fees

Registration Fee Schedule


Financial Support

Numerous programs provide ways you can cut the cost of graduate school. Fellowships, loans, Graduate Student Instructorships, Research Assistantships, Readerships, and even subsidized housing and childcare each can help a great deal. Some programs are merit-based and administered through the Graduate Division Fellowship Office. Others are need-based and administered through the Financial Aid Office. The academic departments also administer additional funding sources. By tapping these and other resources you can plan a program of financial support.


If you are not a resident of California, you will need to know the current requirements on establishing legal residency. While all out-of-state students are required to have three years of financial independence in California before being eligible to reclassify for lower registration fees. In most cases graduate students can qualify for legal residency by their second year of graduate school, thereby significantly reducing their fees.


International students and students who are not US citizens or permanent residents cannot establish California residency and should expect to pay nonresident tuition each semester of their graduate study. Doctoral candidates will be eligible for a NRT waiver for up to three (3) years after Advancement to Candidacy.


Helpful Links

Graduate Division Fellowships & Awards

Financial Aid & Scholarships Office

Loan Resources