4.2 Continuing Student Registration

To be officially registered at UC Berkeley you must meet three criteria:


  1. You must be enrolled in at least one class.
  2. Your tuition and fees must be paid either in full or the first installment of the Fee Payment Plan.
  3. You must not have holds against your registration


You must be officially registered for the current term on CalCentral to be eligible to enroll in the next term.

You must be officially registered to access campus services such as library privileges, the Recreational Sports Facility, University Health Services, etc.


4.2.1 - To Enroll

  1. Please see:  https://registrar.berkeley.edu/registration/enrollment
  2. Complete the Confirmation of Class Schedule (this is a writable form-please do not fill out by hand).  Take a printed copy of this form and meet with the appropriate Major Field Advisor (MFA) to go over your course selections and reach an agreement regarding the courses.  Bring the Confirmation to the Student Services Office in 6189 Etcheverry Hall.  We keep the form in your record.
  3. Enroll in at least 15 units for the Standard MS and Ph.D Programs, and at least 12 units for the 5th Year MS and the M.Eng Programs.  You have until the end of the 5th week of classes to be enrolled in the correct number of units.  However, please keep in mind that most instructors will not take new students after the 2nd or 3rd weeks.  It is best to get instructor permission for late adds.  Failing to be enrolled in the required amount of units can result in the recision of any fellowships and/or fee remission as well as incur other penalties. 
  4. If, after meeting with the MFA and turning in your Confirmation, there are changes to be made to your schedule, you will be able to login to Calcentral and make the changes yourself until the end of the 3rd week of courses.  If you are drastically changing your schedule, it is recommended you revisit your MFA to discuss the changes.
  5. To make changes after the first 5 weeks, fill out the Petition to Change Class Schedule Form (instructions can be found at https://registrar.berkeley.edu/sites/default/files/pdf/ADPetGrad.pdf), obtain the MFA's signature, and turn it in to 6189 Etcheverry Hall.  Please note each change occurring after the first 5 weeks will incur fees.  If you are not enrolled in a course, you will not receive credit for it.
  6. When you have finalized your schedule, make sure that you check your schedule on CalCentral to ensure that all changes have been made.  Ultimately, you are in charge of your own schedule, making sure you are making adequate progress towards your degree, and meeting all deadlines.
  7. If you are registered in a class that you did not request, YOU MUST DROP IT.  Otherwise, you will receive an F for non-attendance.



4.2.2 - To Pay Fees

For information on how to pay your bill, please see http://studentbilling.berkeley.edu/


Students who have ME Department support, such a fellowship, GSI, or GSR may have partial or full fees paid by their Research Advisor's Grant or by the department.  Some students on external fellowships such as the NSF or NDSEG will also have their fees paid.  Percentages dictate the level of payment.  Please see http://grad.berkeley.edu/financial/appointments/ under “Fee Remission” for details.


Details of your fee payment status can be found in CalCentral under “My Finances.”