1) Enrollment Planning Notes:
-As of right now, E25 will be offered both in Fall 2017 and Spring 2018.
-As of right now, ME 102A will not be offered in Spring 2018. If you're graduating in Spring 2018, take ME 102A in the Fall.
2) The Technical Elective page has been updated with the UGBA and Econ courses we will now accept. Physics courses have also been added, if you're into that. :)
3) The Tentative Course Schedule has been updated.
4) I need 6-8 ugrads who entered as freshmen for my Cal Day student panel. If you are interested, please complete the following form. Panelists can get an MechE t-shirt.
5) Please join me in congratulating this year's Outstanding GSI Award winners! Thank you all for your nominations!
Semih Ege (Jason) Bezci
Have a pleasant weekend, all!
The Jacobs Institute for Design Innovation is offering two hands-on summer courses this summer. Both courses provide technical elective credit for engineering students.
- DES INV 22: Prototyping & Fabrication: Explore a range of prototyping and fabrication techniques — including laser-cutting, 3D modeling and 3D printing, soldering, basic circuits, microcontrollers (Arduino), sensors and actuators, and interface mockups — as you make original projects. This entry-level course has no prerequisites and requires no previous experience.
- DES INV 190E-001: Interactive Device Design: This advanced course teaches concepts and skills required to design, prototype, and fabricate interactive devices. You’ll gain skills in key techniques, from 3D modeling and circuit board design to embedded software development and user interface programming, before diving into a design project. Programming experience is required, and you should have some background in at least one of three core skill areas (user interface design, 3D modeling, and electronics) before taking the course.
Using Data Science to Expand Access to Clean Energy Around the World
More than a billion people globally lack access to electricity and another billion lack access to reliable electricity, greatly impacting education, health, social and economic development. A major barrier to investment in this space is a lack of visibility in many countries’ off-grid renewable energy development potential.
Galvanize San Francisco Campus - 44 Tehama Street, San Francisco, CA
Allen Yang, director of the Center for Augmented Cognition, sends along word of an April 25 pitch competition for augmented reality/virtual reality startups. First prize will be $10K and guaranteed acceptance to SkyDeck,
UC Berkeley’s startup accelerator.
UC Berkeley-affiliated teams have until April 3 to submit entries. The April 25 event is open to the public.
Here is the competition website: https://www.eventbrite.com/e/uc-berkeley-arvr-pitch-competition-tickets-31609069578
Explore China for free with Gotoco!
Gotoco provides university students from all over the world with the chance to volunteer at summer camps across China and earn their very own TEFL (Teaching English as a Foreign Language) certificate.
Teach English, learn Mandarin and get to grips with the local culture all absolutely free of charge. We provide free accommodation and meals at your schools, and even offer free accommodation for a week in Yangshuo, one of the most beautiful places in China, at the end of your camp.
The camps range in length from two weeks to two months between early May and early September.
Learn all about China's culture while earning your TEFL certificate and exploring some of the most exciting parts of the world. No prior knowledge of Mandarin is required.
Your time in China with us will help both your personal and professional development. Learn about how people work in a foreign environment, learn invaluable leadership skills, learn new skills like calligraphy and how to work with people from a diverse range of backgrounds.
Previous volunteers have gone on to use their TEFL certificates to get jobs all over the world, while others have found their experiences in China have helped them secure great jobs after graduation. Employers the world over are desperate for students with China experience as the world's second largest economy becomes increasingly influential in all aspects of world politics and business.
Join us for an unforgettable summer!